Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Excerpt from "Right of Way"

This is an excerpt from a short story I'm writing. It's a home invasion thriller called "Right of Way". This is a very early and semi-rough draft of the first chapter.

“Honey, there’s someone outside.” Layla said as she emptied the dishwasher.

“What‘s that?”

“I said there’s a man outside.”

“Who is it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, is it one of the neighbors”

“No.”

“Are you sure? You know Alan’s brother is visiting.”

“Yes, I’m sure and it‘s not Alan‘s brother. And of course I know his brother is visiting. I was the one that told you.”

“It’s probably the garbage guy or something.”

“Patrick, it’s 10:00 o’clock. When has the garbage man ever come this late?”

“Lay, no need to get snappy.”

“I’m sorry, babe. This guy is just kind of creeping me out.”

“What’s he doing?”

“That’s the thing. He isn’t doing anything. He’s just standing there. Can you come over here.”

Patrick makes his from the living room to the kitchen..

“How long has he been standing there?”

“I’m not sure. I just noticed him a minute ago. I think he‘s been watching me.”

“I’m sure he’s not. . .Wait, what do you mean he’s been watching you?”

“I mean he’s been watching me.”

“When?”

“The past few weeks. The last time was the other day at the grocery store. Remember when I called you and asked you if it was raining? I didn‘t need to know. I just wanted you on the phone in case something happened”

‘Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I didn’t want to freak you out.”

“Are you sure he’s been watching you, Lay? You have a tendency to get paranoid about things.”

“Yes he is, Patrick! At first I didn’t think anything of it. I just thought he was checking me out or something but then I kept seeing him. I said something to him once.“

“What did you say?”

“He was sitting in the lobby at work and I asked him if I could help with anything. He said he was fine. Then, I asked him if he had an appointment and he said no and just sat there. It was really creepy.”


“That sounds absolutely frightening.”

“I’m serious, Patrick! I called security but he left before they came down. Can you go out and say something to him?”

“What do you want me to say?”


“I don’t know? Tell him you’re going to beat his ass.”

“Or I can just ask him what he’s doing.”

“Just go out there, Pat. Please.”

Just as Pat was about to return to the living room and completely dismiss Layla‘s accusation, he looked into her eyes. There was something different. Something real. Layla genuinely feared for her life and Pat knew what he had to do.

“Alright. I’ll go say something.”

“Bring a bat or something.”

“Layla, I’m not a barbarian. I’ll just go talk to him.”

“Ok. Be careful. I have a weird feeling about this guy.”

“I will, honey.”

Patrick lightly kissed Layla on the forehead and made his way out of the kitchen. Layla watched attentively as he ventured across the street to the man she thought had been following her for the past few weeks.

Layla took out her phone, programmed ‘911’, and clutched the phone in her palms. Layla always planned ahead. This was strictly a precautionary measure. Layla knew Patrick would be fine, however, there was a sense of dread gnawing at her. She had a terrible feeling something horrible was about to happen.

Across the street, Patrick and the mystery man exchanged words. Layla’s mind raced as she speculated the dialogue of the confrontation. The mystery man walked away and Patrick jogged his way across the street.

“That was it?” Layla thought.

Layla quickly made her way to the front door to meet Patrick and inquire the details of the confrontation.

“Crisis averted.”

“What happened?”

“I went out there and asked what he was doing. He didn’t say anything, so, I told him if he didn’t leave I would call the cops and that’s when he left.”

“Did you ask him why he was following me?”

“No.”

“What the hell, Patrick! That was the whole point of you going out there!”

“I was under the impression the point of me going outside was to see what he was doing. . .”

“That’s bullshit! You’re unbelievable! Way to make your wife feel safe.”

“It never came up. What do you want me to do?”

“Just leave me alone right now.”

“Honey, if you see him again just call the c---”

Patrick and Layla’s argument is interrupted by the doorbell.

“Now who could that be?”

Patrick quickly made his way to the door. Layla followed close behind him. Patrick peered through the peep hole to see who it was.

“Who is it?”

“It’s the guy.”

“Don’t answer it! I’m going to call the cops!”

“Calm down, Layla! Maybe he wants to apologize or explain himself.”

“Patrick, I swear to god if you answer that door.”

“Everything’s going to be fine. I promise.”

No comments: