Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Excerpt from Right of Way: Beginning Chapter

What you are about to read is a short and very rough excerpt from a project I worked on a couple of years ago. It's the beginning of what is suppose to be home-invasion story. I ended up abandoning this project after I couldn't figure out how it would end. I always loved the dialogue in this story and really enjoyed building the relationship of the two main characters. I previously posted an excerpt from the same story in an earlier post. If you read that you may sort of be able to see how dynamic the characters become over the course of the plot. Hope you enjoy - BD




I

“Seriously?.”


“You can’t have a sip of my drink yet.”


“And why is that?”


“Because I haven’t had a sip of it yet.”


“Do you just enjoy being an asshole?”


“I will be more than happy to share my beverage with you once I’ve broken the seal and establish ownership.”


“Establish ownership? Who the hell do you think you are right now?


“Honey, we’ve been over this.”


“And you will have to continue to explain this to me because I still don’t understand.”


.:sigh:. “This lovely beverage belongs to me.  If I let take the first sip, I am no longer the owner,  you are.  So, anytime I take a sip, in the back of my mind it will belong to you, and I will feel weird about finishing the whole thing.  It would just be rude.”


“So why don’t you just open it and take a sip and then I can take a sip.  Problem solved.”


“In a perfect world, that would solve the problem. Unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world and  I’m not thirsty right now. If I open it now with no intention on drinking it, all of the carbonation will leak out and it won’t taste as good.  This will force me to throw it out and that’s just plain wasteful.  For god’s sake, Layla, there are children in Somalia that are dying of hunger everyday. .  “


“You’re unbelievable.”


“Maybe so but you still love me.”


.:laughs:. “That’s debatable.”


“Is it? I mean if it were up for debate you wouldn’t have accepted my marriage proposal.”


“. . .”


“You’re no fun.”


.:whispers:. “That’s not what you said last night.”


“What was that? I couldn’t hear you because you were talking under your breath.”


“I said ‘That’s not what you said last night!’”


“Did you just make a sex joke?”


“So, what if I did?”


“I’m shocked right now.”


“I’ve made sex jokes before.”
“You have but this is the first time I‘ve legitimately been impressed by.”


“Is it your personal mission to piss me off everyday?”


“No. My personal mission is to have sex with you everyday.”


.: shakes head:. “I can’t believe I agreed to marry you!  You are an infant. If you keep this up I‘m not sure how long I can take this”


.:silence:. From both parties. 


“And your last “witty” comment was fucking stupid. You seriously need to learn to turn it off sometimes. You’re not as clever as you think you are.”


“Ouch.”


“Don’t talk to me! I’m fucking pissed.”


“Come on, Lay. Don’t be like that. You know I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t love you.”


“. . .”


“I’m going to tickle you. If you don’t talk to me.”


“Don’t you dare fucking touch to me.  If you touch me, I’m going to punch you square in the balls. Fucking try me! I swear to god.”


“ Layla, I’m driving. If you punched me in the balls, we would both die in a horrific car accident. Also, I’ve seen you punch.  We probably wouldn’t be able to procreate if it landed.”


“Don‘t try me”


“You’re so sexy when you’re mad.”


“Patrick, don’t start.”


“I may just pull this car over and ravish you.”


“You‘re un-fucking believable.”


“And  you’re bluffing.”


“Only one way to find out.”


.:Pat reaches over:.

.:Layla punches him in the crotch. . .hard:.


“Yeah. . .You weren’t bluffing.”


“. . giggles. . “


“Are you laughing right now?”


“You should have seen your face.”


“Well, you punched me in my fucking balls. .  I hope you’re proud of yourself.  You have successfully made me upset me and now I don’t want to talk to you.”


“You’re not talking to me?!? If anything, we’re even.”


“Explain to me how we are even.”


“You were being an ass and I punched you in the balls. Tit for tat.”


“No. Even would be you saying something about my hairline or making a disparaging remark about my penis size or sexual prowess.  Even is not preventing the birth of our future children. In fact, to be even at this point, I would have to punch you in your ovaries.”


“We can have make-up sex. You can punch my ovaries that way”


“That sounds awfully tempting but no.  I’m mad at you right now. Kudos for that innuendo, by the way. You‘re on fire today.  ”


“I think  I can change your mind.”


.:Layla unbuckles her seatbelt and advances towards Patrick:.


“What are you about to do.”


“I’m not exactly sure. I was going  to nibble on your neck and then see where it went from there.”


“You do realize I’m driving right now?”


“I’m a smart girl. I’ll figure it out.”


“You know it’s really hard to stay mad at you when you talk that way.”


“Do you think I’m bluffing this time?”


“There’s a slight chance.”


.:rolls her eyes:.


.:Layla starts to kiss Patrick’s neck:.


“Do you remember how this argument even started?”


“Patrick, shut up.”


.:Layla moves from his next to his lips:.


“Holy shit! Layla get down!”


Car crash.

No comments: