Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Conversation

The Conversation
By
Brandon Dues


“I finally realized what truly upsets me about our whole situation. You just don’t care. You never care. . . .about anything. It’s kind of sad when you think about it. I mean, here I am putting absolutely everything I can give into this relationship and it doesn’t matter. It’s a moot point. You react to ‘I Love You’ the same way you react to your morning alarm going off. So, why even say it at this point, you know?”

“I’m sorry. Did you say something just now?”

“I could tell you that I‘ve been cheating on you with your best friend and you wouldn‘t even bat an eye. I could tell you that I met someone at the gym and you‘d just shrug it off.”

“What do you think we should eat for dinner?”

“You didn’t hear anything I said, did you? This must be some sort of defense mechanism you’ve built up over the years, which is strange considering I’m your first real long term relationship. It seems to me like you’re completely inept in dealing with any sort of problems that arise between us.”

“What do you think about Chinese?”

“I’m unhappy with this arrangement. This isn’t working for me anymore. I need to be with a person that is emotionally responsive to my needs. You’re a shell of a person and I hate it. I hate you.”

“You’re right we did have Chinese last night.”

“I’m leaving. . .”

“That’s fine but can you grab some milk on your way home.”

“I just bought that milk three days ago.”

“I know but I used most of it to make you dinner the other night. Remember?”

“That’s right. You did make me dinner?”

“So, will you?”

“Will I what?”

“Pick up some milk? I know how much you like cereal in the morning.”

“Yeah. . . .sure.”

“If you come home too late just sleep on the couch. You wake me up when you come to bed.”

“Fine. . . Hey?”

“Yes, dear?”

“I love you”

“.We need Eggs, too. We’re out of eggs.”

No comments: